How can a military or civil service person stationed overseas get a divorce?

If the person serving overseas is served with divorce papers, they have the right to invoke The Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act of 1940 (“SSCRA”) in order to postpone the process. This is a federal statute that was enacted to “protect those who have been obliged to drop their own affairs to take up the burdens of the nation.”

If the person overseas wishes to file for a divorce, they may do so in whatever county of Texas in which they reside.

Leave a Reply 0 comments

Leave a Reply: